Singapore comes to life at night. After work, we come together with our friends and talk about things. There is nothing wrong with coming together for booze but there are things that we need to know before indulging. The first thing that you should know is the Liquor Control Bill which forbids Singaporeans and visitors to consume alcohol beyond 10:30pm.
The second thing that we should know is the benefits of drinking beer. Beer is not just an alcohol that releases happy hormones when we consume it. It also gives benefits only if we drink it moderately.
- Helps fight dementia: We should know that a new study made by Chinese researchers revealed that beers can help fight dementia. According to researchers, hops (a plant used to make beer) releases chemicals that can protect the brain cells from dementia caused by stress. This chemical is named Xanthohumol. It fights damage which leads to degeneration of brain cells. Beers can also boost one’s memory.
- Helps digestion: Beers can help digestion. In fact, thirty cl glass of beer contain one gram of soluble fibre. Fibre deficiency can lead to intestinal and gastric disorders like diarrhoea and constipation.
- Helps lower bad cholesterol: It was mentioned earlier that beers contain fibre. Aside from digestion, fibre can also held reduce the LDL cholesterol levels in our body. LDL cholesterol is commonly known as the “bad cholesterol”. We should be aware that beers can reduce the risk of heart attack compared to non-drinkers.
- Helps increase vitamin B: Beer also contains vitamin B (like B1, B2, B6 and B12).
- Helps with colds: Beer can help us deal with colds. If we have colds, drinking warm beer can be a remedy. This is because when barley is heated, it can improve the circulation of blood. Furthermore, it can also help with the congestion.
- Helps deal with insomnia: Beers can help us deal with insomnia. For people who have troubles sleeping, beers can be an excellent solution. Beers contain nicotinic acid and lactoflavin which promote sleep.
- Helps blood clotting: Beers can help with blood clotting. There are ingredients in beer that prevent the formation of blood clotting.
- Helps reduce anxiety: There is no doubt that beers can combat anxiety and stress. This is according to the University of Montreal. Two glasses of beer a day can make a difference at the end of the day.
So, if you fancy a bottle, indulge but remember to drink it moderately and remember the new Bill.